July 14, 2011

What amazing moss garden at Saiho-ji Kyoto

Saiho-ji is called Koke-dera since Saiho-ji is famous for its moss.
Moss means Koke in Japanese.
Prior application must in advance at least one week ahead to visit here and
Admission fee is 3,000 yen ( approximately 37 US dollars ), this is the highest in Kyoto and this is one of famous tour attractions. Saiho-ji is well known its beautiful moss.

I visited Saiho-ji in early July.
I expected less 100 people in a day tour but a few hundreds people were already there contrary to my expectations.
Inside the temple, we are guided to the main building and we practice sutra before entering their garden. It was the first experience for me to practice sutra at temple. No need to make up sutra. We can stop it but we could write name along with a wish on the left side of paper and place it. For me, it took 30 minutes to finish sutra, and my legs went to sleep while I sit on tatami in the proper way in a small space. I could not move for a while even I wish to stand up though.

After valuable experience, I finally could enter the garden.
Many varieties of moss are spread on the ground and it looks like cloud over the sky.
I had been heard that it is not easy to take care of moss nowadays since of global warming
but we can enjoy to see the beauty of moss here. Moss spread here and there even to the bridge.
That's amazing. People say that there are 120 different kinds of moss and I can not find difference though I can see some kinds of moss.
Garden is not huge so 30 minutes is enough to look around.

Even though it is not easy to enter Saiho-ji, it is worth to visit.

staff at http://www.yado-web.com/ will reserve a tour at Saiho-ji for a guest at http://www.yado-web.com/ in advance.
Please ask staff freely.

Admitted card.
Saihō-ji was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as part of the "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto".










On the way to get Saiho-ji.



Suzumusi-dera.
This temple locate near Saiho-ji

No comments:

Post a Comment